Self-Reliance essay

Emerson's title is Self-Reliance. It's called Self-Reliance because you're the only person who can tell yourself what to do and be who you want to be. In the essay, he pointed out the main idea about tone, diction, and syntax. This essay didn't help me because I already have my own mindset to how I want it to be. I put my foot down when people try to run my left. I don't let that happen because I do what I want and I become who I want to become.
     In the essay self-reliance written by Emerson, his main idea for tone was inspirational. It's inspirational because in the essay Emerson said " the soul always hears an admonition in such lines, let the subject be what it may" in other words this to me means to stop listening to others, and start being who you want to be, rather than someone your not. This is inspirational because so many people expect everyone to be the same. everyone is different but not many are truly themselves. They just let people tell them who to become and how to live their lives, rather than living their life just the way they want to.
     Diction in Emerson's essay would be allusions and analogies of historical figures. Emerson believes that people follow the head leader so they can protect themselves and their wealth. "self-reliance is its aversion". This shows the audience that they must be willing to speak the truth without being afraid to say it.
    In self-reliance Emerson's syntax is philosophy because he has long paragraphs, run on sentences and uses big words. "there is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance... given to high to till" this is a long sentence.
    All in all in this essay on Self-Reliance by Emerson. He is basically saying to be your own person. You are who you are, not to be someone else. His words have a strong meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You need to get to the point Structure- beginning, middle, end Flow- tie together  Evidence (support) - from book  Mechanic- spellin...